Monday, April 2, 2018 Islamorada
We are back to where we started the Great Loop which for loopers is called ‘crossing your wake’. So after about a year and over 6,000 miles our fabulous journey comes to an end.
We started from here, Islamorada in the Florida Keyes, on April 11th 2017, with not much experience but a lot of excitement and anticipation. We had some mishaps along the way but what a great adventure. Looking the the attached map here’s our path:
– We went all the way up the Atlantic ICW, through NYC and the Hudson River, north through Lake Champlain to the St. Lawrence River and past Montreal
– Up the Ottawa River to Ottawa, capital of Canada,
– Down the Canadian Rideau Canal system to Lake Ontario, then to Belleville and Trent Ontario,
– Up the Canadian Trent-Severn canal system to Georgian Bay and Lake Huron
– Down the beautiful east side of Lake Michigan viewing huge sand dunes along the way to just below Chicago
– Through the canal that leads to the Illinois River and then to the Mississippi River
– After St. Louis we went up the Ohio River and then down the Cumberland River to the Kentucky Lakes and then the Tennessee-Tombigbee river and canal system to Mobile Alabama (where we left the boat while we headed home for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays)
– Across the beautiful Alabama gold coast and Florida panhandle, then crossed to the West Coast of Florida and where we spent some time before arriving in Marathon in the Keyes
– And now north a day to Islamorada where we began.
We enjoyed so many places big and small and experienced sites we never could have imagined. But of course, it’s the people we met and visited along the way that really made the trip special in so many ways. And also the blog followers that once in while let us know they were there – thank-you all!
Here are some final photos as we leave Marathon, and arrive at our small but just right Treasure Harbor Marina in Islamorada.
Thanks for you support! It’s been an amazing year!